This weekend Connel had Friday off, so we headed south to AMISH COUNTRY! We spent the entire day amongst the largest population of Amish folk in the country.
First we went to Heini's Cheese Chalet and got to sample ALOT of cheese and learn the history or cheese making and watch part of the process.
Then we went to the Amish Flea Market, which kinda turned out to be a dud. It was mostly full of junk that people were trying to sell, it reminded me of a Home and Garden show, without the garden. The only really cool thing that I saw (and you will have probably had to attend Panorama Elementary in St. George Utah to appreciate this)...was a BOOKMOBILE! Oh the nostalgia!
We also went to Yoder's Amish Home, where we toured an Amish home, barn, school and even got a buggy ride all for only $10.00!!! Eat that Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! Connel and I had a great conversation with the Amish Buggy Driver named Roman, he was really nice and friendly and told Connel, "...you can't take the country out of the boy." and I got a hand knitted wash cloth from the school teacher!
Here is an awesome pic I took of the barn and windmill, I'm so proud of it :).
This is the horse that tried to eat my camera.
(Obviously, because she was an Amish Horse she wouldn't know what a camera was.)
This was the runt of the litter and the one I wanted to take home!
Here is the picture of the little newborn lamb (born that day). I tried and tried to get a picture of it but either the Mother was in the way or the baby kept running away...finally I snapped a good picture. After all the photos, he was probably traumatized.
You can see what that little lamb thought of me after a few snaps. Cute though isn't he?
The Amish folk do not like to get their pictures taken (to observe the Commandment of not taking any graven image.) But here is a pic of some Amish Wannabees.
Obviously these two weirdoes need a new lesson on the Commandments.
Our Horse and Buggy Ride
(they won't let you take pictures of them, but they will take them for you!)
And this is the best picture of the whole day. Aren't they adorable!?!
We went antiquing as well, we were in the Antique mall for 2 hours and although there was nothing to show for it, I was still a happy camper (Connel on the other hand...). I just had to tell him..."Honey, the difference is that you are looking at things and I am looking for things."
All in all we had an awesome trip, stayed all day, ate lots of yummy dutchman cooking and we will definitely go back again!
8 comments:
Great updates!! I am so jealous that you went to Amish country!! I am sooo for that and I can't wait until we get a chance to go out there. We were also thinking about going on a fairy ride on Lake Erie. Sound enticing?
That is really cool! What an awesome experience. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
You have been on some exciting adventures lately! The pic of the barn and windmill is really good! How fun to spend time together and make some wonderful memories! It looked like a lot of fun!
I love going to the Amish stores! When ever we go to visit Chad's family in PA we make a little stop :)I also found the horse and buggy signs funny... the first one I ever saw was a horse and buggy parking sign at Costco...:)
When we were in Indiana, the Amish had booths set up at a county fair they had some really cool things all made by hand some gorgeous clocks and rugs and some toys for kids but we never went to their farms, that would be so much fun!!
Laura that looks so fun!!! The omish ROCK!!!
How fun, I love all the pictures! I love the sign one...so crazy!
Looks like you guys are having a great time!
I love the windmill picture!! I have always wanted to eat at an amish comunitee retreat! I love that they grow everything themselves and i aspire to be like them in some small way! You look so cute!!!
Post a Comment