Tuesday, December 1, 2009

acid reflux.

Hannah is 7 lbs 1 oz!
She gained 1 lb 3 oz in just a couple weeks, which is right on target.  The nurses in the NICU said that she probably would have been more than 8 lbs if she went to her due date, maybe she'll still make her weight! :)


I thought she had a little nasal congestion so I took her to the doctor to make sure she wasn't getting sick.  She actually has the congestion from reflux!  Blah, my poor little baby!  She grunts and groans and squirms and arches her back after almost every feeding,  She also sometimes cries out in her sleep!  I am trying everything but she's still so uncomfortable...any suggestions?


We just love this little girl in our home, she has the sweetest disposition and really hardly ever fusses, except for when she's hungry or getting her diaper changed.  Being a Mommy is well, I'll admit, harder than I thought...with nursing and lack of sleep and worrying about if she's breathing and wanting to take every bit of reflux pain away from her...However, the joy that comes from being parents far outweighs the hardships and I have never ever felt this much love!  In Elder Uchtdorf's conference talk he talked about Heavenly Father's love for us, he said, "Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount—that is the measure of God’s love for you."  I think I can honestly say that the love I have for our Hannah is the "purest all-consuming love" that I can imagine.


We love you Hannah!

14 comments:

Amy Franklin said...

Wow--7 lbs. already?!? That is awesome! Emma and Leah both had reflux--I think it's a preemie thing. They spit up like CRAZY! Our doctor recommended that we sleep them in their car seats. It keeps them upright and snuggles them in more than a crib or bassinet. It worked so great that we started Brooke and Andrew in car seats too! I am so proud of little Hannah--and her parents!

Ashley said...

You are amazing! I've been wanting to comment for a while, but we were gone and I couldn't comment from Las Vegas for some reason. Anyway, you guys have the same Chicco carseat that we have and so it was so nostalgic to see pictures of Hannah finally coming home! My heart just leaped for you because I remember how exciting that was. Then it was scary that I didn't have a nurse helping me through our first night! You are doing wonderful and you look so great and happy!! What's more important is that Hannah looks really happy because of you! we love you lots!

The Beck Bunch said...

That is the exact weight that Molly was at birth! Crazy. If you find anything that works for Hannah's reflux let me know because Molly has it really bad. She soaks me constantly, and we go through 4-5 burp rags a day. That's the worst thing we are dealing with also! Love you guys!!!

Kimi said...

Good job, Hannah! She is such a darling little girl, with a BEAUTIFUL mommy.

In regards to the reflux:
* try and keep her upright after she eats to let the food settle.
* burp her regularly during a feeding
* for you: stay away from reflux triggers - chocolate (boo!), orange juice, sodas, tomato based stuff, and anything acidic. Sometimes milk can be a trigger, too, but not usually.

I'm a war vet in regards to reflux, so call me if you need anything!

Love you all!

Ashley said...

I think every baby has acid reflux-seriously! Hallie had it and just about every other baby I know has it too. Nick's cousin gives her baby Prevacid and Zantac, prescribed by her doctor of course, and that seems to help. However, I didn't give Hallie anything because I thought it was too much for a newborn. I'm sure a health food store has natural remedies you can give her if you are opposed to medicine like I was. I also propped Hallie up after she ate and also while she was sleeping. I hope this info was helpful. Good luck with your little sweetie!

jamerlou said...

Juliet was on Axid, prescribed by her doctor, which helped a ton! But I also had to cut milk, chocolate and peanut butter from my diet. It was a rough 10 months until she quit nursing.

Melly Mae, Curt-dowg and B-$$ said...

Brody had pretty bad reflux. It is hard. I'm sorry. Make sure you get to do something that makes you feel like YOU and rejuvenated at least once a day. I know it's hard to do, but if you do it you wont have as many break downs. Believe me, I was losing it at that point. Your diet can really have a ton to do with it. Experiment taking milk products out of your diet? That's what I did for about 6 weeks and the little man was so much happier. Then there is always keeping her upright for 45 mins after feeding....a vertical pad in her crib....ect. I'm sure you've heard all of this. The bottom line is it is a hard time...but it get's easier. Just say your prayers, smile, and think about all of the gooood. I think where you are right now with reflux/no sleep/nerves is about when I told Curtis, "I don't like being a mom" lol. Funny. I look back now and see how much that time taught me about patients and hard work! YOU GO GIRL!!!! We love and miss you guys!

Brooke Monk said...

Sounds like you've gotten tons of advice, anything I would've mentioned has already been said, so I'll just tell you how much I love you instead!!

p.s. it only gets easier as time goes by and don't you dare feel guilty one second for feeling overwhelmed or frustrated at times. You're amazing and don't forget it!

I'm Amy. Or Melynne. Whatever. said...

She's a cutie! I ditto the other ladies about experimenting with taking certain foods out of your diet to see if that helps her with her reflux. Dairy can be a big trigger, as can chocolate and broccoli (weird, I know).

Tanya said...

sounds like everything I was gonna tell you about reflux was already listed. Poor Hannah! Isn't it crazy how you think that everything is gonna be so easy when you have them and it turns out completely different?! =) I bet your such a great mommy though, you always look so happy in the pictures! She is a beautiful baby!

Brianna Tuckett said...

Sorry to hear about the reflux! My nephew had it as a baby and we had some babies in foster care that had it. It stinks! I hope it gets better though (it should!) and I'm so glad that you're enjoying being a mom! That part suits you!! :)

Mandy said...

Laura I am SO happy for you and your little family. Hannah is such a sweet, adorable and oh so loveable little angel. I adore all the sweet things your dress her up in.
I hope for the best with the reflux and am wishing it away quickly. My little daughter came walking in while I was looking at the photos and she says "Oh that was me when I was a baby right?!" LOL....I guess she just thinks every adorable baby girl was her when she was a baby.
I also want to add that you look fantastic!!! So beautiful and full of happiness.

George and Tacie said...

Wow! Your daughter is so adorable! She is precious! I am glad everything is going okay and she's home safe and happy with you now! Congrats!

Amy said...

Reflux is why Ellie was in the NICU. The Dr gave us a RX for Zantac and it helped soooo much. I've also heard about cutting milk out of your diet before too. She really will just grow out of it sometime. :)Glad to hear things are going well, keep up the awesome work. you are an amazing Mom.