Wednesday, February 20, 2008

the somewhat wise ramblings of a quarter-century old woman.

This morning as I woke at the crack of dawn, (as wise old sages often do). I was brought to ponder on the 25 years of my life. Twenty Five. Thinking about it that way can really bring on the nostalgia. What all has happened in twenty five years? That is a long time. Now some of you out there might think...but, you are so young! Take a think back to your 25th birthday, did you think you were young? Well, I feel old. I actually looked in the mirror the other day and told Connel, "I LOOK older!" I really never expected the age of 25 to be that significant, and I never realized that it would bring me into retrospect.

So, as I continue to ponder I feel compelled to make a list of 25 things and the things and/or people that came about in those years that I am blessed with. (one for each year of my life, it does not necessarily mean that the thing listed happened that year, although some do)

1983- I guess you could say "I have been born of goodly parents". I have an adorable Mother who is my best friend and has shown me what it is to be a great wife and mother through her wonderful examples and teachings. I have a extraordinary Father, who has shown me how to work hard, how to be dedicated to my family and who I can laugh and joke around with whenever I want.
1984- "Sometimes being a brother is even better that being a superhero." -Marc Brown You know how when you have a superhero and they do something wrong and you pretty much ignore it and still think that they are still the best thing ever? Ya, well, I have a superhero brother. I love him through whatever. He is silly but serious, tough but tender, proud but humble. I love him.
1985- I have this little scar right between my middle and ring fingers on my right hand that I got from cutting my hand on a mirror when I was two. My dad I were at a Daddy-daughter date and the dad's were supposed to identify their daughters by choosing which hands were their daughters while we sat behind the stage curtain with our hands sticking out. My dad found me really fast. He said he found them so fast because of two things. One, my hands looked like my grandmothers. Two, He found that little scar. For some reason, I have always remembered that.
1986- Confession: When my mom would tell us to clean our room, I used to sit on my bed and let my sister clean the entire bedroom by herself, then when my mom came in I would pretend to be helping. At that time I didn't know that I have the privilege of being sister's with someone so full of faith, a sister who I can ask advice that I can't ask anyone else, because I know she will be honest with me and because of something divine about sisterhood, I can trust her and we laugh about the silliest and I mean silliest things! I'm sure if I would have know that I would have at least helped a little.
1987- Childhood friends! I think that they had more of an influence on my life than I or they knew! They make up half the memories of my life, good ones, that I treasure!
1988- Barbies: Yes, okay so I still have a hidden interest and make Connel walk down the Barbie aisle with me at Toys'R'Us, okay and Wal-Mart, okay fine!!! and K-Mart! Barbies have a little peice of every girls heart forever, it's sad to see that BratZ dolls are taking over...Yuk. I rather have a shapely body than big feet and too much makeup any day!
1989- Family Home Evenings: Something I am very grateful for, that shaped my life greatly. It is where I learned to work, pray, read the scriptures, "be quiet and sit still" and feel the love of family. I want to have FHE with my children, just like my family did, every Monday Night with a treat (Timber Floats)...I can't wait to teach my kids with the Manners flip book.
1990 - I have THE cutest little sister in the universe. I remember her coming into my bedroom when my high schools friends and I were doing our nails or whatever and she would just watch us and every once in awhile she would contribute a small giggle. I think I will always see her like that even though now she is a grown-up beautiful, witty, intelligent, righteous young lady, I will always see her there, sitting on my bed, just waiting to grow up...and me at that time, never thinking about the influence that I might be in her life. Now I am the one who gets to sit back and adore her while she gets ready for the prom or for work and I just sit on the bed and giggle, while she might never know the wonderful influence that she has been in my life! I hope she knows I love her then and now.
1991 - Piano Lessons - Two years of them and I don't remember a thing except "Little Indian Lance". What a shame, well, that is one of my goals in life now, to learn to play the piano, don't take your talent for granted people!
1992 - My baby brother, he should know that I can call him that even though he will be old enough to go on his first date 6 months from now. This kid is a riot! He is always keeping me and the rest of the family laughing. I am so proud of him when he tells me what he wants to become, I hope he pursues and gets what he hopes for. I love when I when I see him fulfill his priesthood duties. Even though he's the caboose, has always been one to help hold our family together! We wouldn't be whole without him!
1993- One time I lied to my Mom, I told her I had been held back after school because of the teacher when I had really been playing on the playground at the school. This is when I learned that it's not a good thing to lie to your mom...I was grounded for a week.
1994- My grandparents. I never really knew them that well. My mom parents passed away before I was born and my dad's parents both passed away when I was really young. I can't wait to get to know them someday. I really appreciate family history and stories told by parents and relatives, it helps me get to know my family better!
1995- My P.E. teacher embarrassed me in front of the entire class, after that P.E. was my nemesis. Somehow I think that gave me a complex about working out. Besides Woodward was a weird school...all sixth graders in one school, Judds (the store), Pogs, Training Bras, Birkenstocks were popular?!? I wanted to be a spy. I wanted to marry J.T.T. so bad that I took my friends "J.T.T., Behind the Scenes" magazine and never gave it back! :(
1996- You pretty much have my life story and I can't think of anything else to put here, so sorry...
1997 - Idaho here we come! I had mixed feelings about moving to a place where the wheat fields and the hicks were all you could see for miles! But I grew to love that place! I love the land, I love the people, I love the sunsets... I am grateful for Idaho, I know...I'm so sappy!
1998- Somethings else that I love about Idaho is that family lives there, that means extended family and especially cousins. I am glad that as I remember times that I spent with my cousins, they are all wonderful, fun and hilarious memories.
1999- Well, the most significant thing I remember about this year is that I moved from Hillcrest to Bonneville...High School was so silly, but I loved it, what can I say? Within this year I made my two best friends...and I am grateful to say that we are still best friends today! We were nerds then and we are nerds now! There are way to memories to share... but all I have to say is "Friends Forever and never apart, maybe in distance, but never at heart."
2000- I wanted to go on this one date really, really bad! I had never been on a date before and my Mom did not want me to go with this certain person, as well as ME...A GIRL...be presumptuous and ask a BOY out on a date, my first date. Of course, I went anyway. I had a crush on this individual for 3 years in high school and pushed away many a date with a nice young man because of it. Now I get teased relentlessly by my brother and best friends for it and will never live it down. This young man I asked out never liked me back. I felt like an idiot. Why did I even care? Point of the story...listen to your mom.
2001- High School Graduation. Didn't know what I was doing. Didn't know where I was going. All I knew was that everybody was doing it. Also, the year of Subway, in my opinion, everyone should have at least one chance to work in fast food, it gives you character and makes you realize you need to be NICE to the people behind the counter.
2002-The rebel year: We will all rebel at some point in our life, whether it be aloud or whether no one knows. I'll give you a hint if you are in that stage: learn the power of repentance and NEVER do it again.
2003- The year I met my sweetiepie! The one girl said "don't touch, he's mine..." But, I won! Long distance relationships teach you how to communicate and they are a good way to really look like you don't have a life. I would spend every night walking up and down the sidewalk in front of our house talking on the phone to Connel until he fell asleep on the phone! How I miss those days sometimes!
2004- The year I married my sweetiepie! What can I say. I love him, he is my big, strong, cuddly, thoughtful, perfectionist, who can't hold still for a minute. He shows me he loves me everyday and today I got to sleep in! He is taking me to dinner tonight. He was going to take me to WICKED the play, but it was $200.00 and I told him not to and I REALLY wanted to go but it was WAY to expensive, I'll just read the book...he would have though if I would have said I wanted to go. He sacrificed his dirt bike, his truck and his love for the Idaho Outdoors to take a job to support our family and because he was thinking about the future and what Heavenly Father wanted us to do. What a great husband!
2005- When you marry someone from Nyssa, you marry their entire family! And I am proud to say that I did! Connel Sr. has a very big heart, he is always doing nice things for everyone and sacrificing many things to make his family happy. Cathy is the most thoughtful and sweet Mother-In-Law a girl could ask for, she loves her children with heart and soul and I love her! Carly has become like another sister and she is an extremely creative girl, she has such a strong testimony and is very successful with school and work, she probably doesn't know, but I look up to her, I want to be like Carly! Cody is such a funny, dedicated, and handsome guy! He is always sharing the gospel and making friends with everyone. I know I made an entrance into their family when they weren't quite prepared for it but they welcomed me so warmly and I am glad this family is now a part of my life, it wouldn't be the same without them!
2006- I am so glad that I was able to finish my degree and that my wonderful husband pushed me to it! Early Childhood/Special Ed was a wonderful program and I am glad I completed it at BYU-Idaho, such a wonderful place and there are so many things to learn. I learned to love learning!
2007- Connel and I started out our married life with not many married friends, our friends were either single or far away. We have made many married friends along the way, and with those friends we have very special memories, ones that no one could ever replace. In fact, the reasons the memories are irreplaceable is because the friends we have made the memories with are irreplaceable! In 2007, we moved away from Idaho, something that we didn't think we could ever do! Even though our friends didn't want us to go, they wished us the best and sent us with their love. We miss all those we left in Idaho, but we hope we can come back a lot to visit so "geez!" don't forget us...save a weekend for a camping trip!
2008! This year I will spend in Ohio and probably somewhere else, though that excitement is yet to be found out I will look forward to another year of my life and hopefully not get any wrinkles!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

(I didn't mean for this to get so long, but I was really into it, so, you get my life story! I think I'll turn this one into a journal entry! :)

8 comments:

Tanya said...

If your saying you look old then your saying I'm looking old cause I'm only 2 months behind you!

C.B. said...

I'm two months behind you as well darling...and you are not old! That was an awesome post, I enjoyed reading about you...was the guy you were talking about liking who didn't like you back the person I'm thinking of..who's initials are R.H....?????? Just wondering :)

Amy said...

Laura! We miss you crazy animals so much! Your post is awesome. You have had a wonderful life! love ya!
Amy Conger

Sweet Em said...

Yes - you should have helped me clean the bedroom...and you should have picked up my stuffed animals that "fell" off my bed by the closet.

Happy Birthday! You are NOT 25!

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Girl!! I hope your birthday is as sweet as you are!!! :)

Laura said...

Ya Christy, R.H....:P LOL!!!

Hanna in the House... said...

I know how you feel about getting older. I turned the big 25 on the second and I didn't even want to celebrate my birthday! I loved reading all of the fun things about you Laura. Oh and the whole barbie thing, just wait until you have a little girl. I get to relive my barbie days over and over again. I just remebered being so jealous of Janalyn because she had every Barbie thing known to man. I don't think I have ever thought about that but just a little tid bit for you! Tell her she needs to start a blog! Happy Birthday Laura!

Calise said...

Hi Laura! I found your blog by way of Holly's and I thought I would say hi! Happy late birthday! I know how you feel about 25- mine is in June and I'm not so sure I want to celebrate it but if you can make it- so can I!
Calise (Jones)